Expressions of hope and wish

Expressions of Hope and Wish

•Pengertian: Wish dan Hope dipercaya merupakan dua kata yang mempunyai arti sama. Padahal keduanya berbeda pada konteks.

~Hope: hope merupakan harapan yang bisa diwujudkan dan sangat mungkin terjadi.

▪ I hope see you again one day.

▪ She hopes to be a successful designer.

Note: Hope+to infinitive (V1)

~Wish: Wish adalah harapan yang sulit diwujudkan bahkan bisa dibilang mustahil.

▪ I wish you luck on your engagement.

▪ Reina Wishes to get the first rank on this new semester.

Note: Wish+to infinitive (V1)

          Wish+noun

1. Mina    : What’s going on, Ra? You look so sad.

Kara    : My sister is sick and she is still hospitalized
Mina    : That’s too bad. I’m so sorry to hear that. How is she now?
Kara    : She is getting better now
Mina    : Oh, ________
Kara    : I hope so

The suitable expression to complete the dialogue above is……

A. I hope she gets sick

B. I hope she looks so sad

C. I hope she will get well soon

D. I hope she is still hospitalized

2.The sentence that shows Expression of Wish and Hope can be found in sentence ...

A. I need a nice house

B. I like a nice house

C. I wish i had a nice house

D. I would like to a have nice house

3.Joni    : What’s up, Bro? How are you doing?

Alan    : Bad.
Joni    : What's wrong?
Alan    : My mother got sick. She has to stay in the hospital for a few days to get medical care.
Joni    : What happened to her?
Alan    : She suffered from TBC.
Joni    : I'm sorry to hear that. I (3) ________ your mom will get better soon.
Alan    : Yeah, (4) ________

The correct word to fill the blank number 3 in the dialogue above is ...

A. Talk

B. Congratulate

C. Try

D. Hope

4.Joni    : What’s up, Bro? How are you doing?

Alan    : Bad.
Joni    : What's wrong?
Alan    : My mother got sick. She has to stay in the hospital for a few days to get medical care.
Joni    : What happened to her?
Alan    : She suffered from TBC.
Joni    : I'm sorry to hear that. I (3) ________ your mom will get better soon.
Alan    : Yeah, (4) ________

The correct word to fill the blank number 4 in the dialogue above is ...

A. I doubt

B. I hope so

C. I don't think so

D. No comment

5.Kara    : My friend, Namira, is sick

Sunn    : ...

A. Congratulation on your sickness

B. I hope she will get well soon, my friend

C. Why are you sick?

D. Don't be sick

6. Demian           : I’m having my English test      this afternoon.

     Mom                : I wish you luck on your exam.

From the dialogue above, Mom shows an expression of…

A. Wish

B. Complimenting

C. Greeting

D. Satisfaction

7.Amara             : I’m having swimming lessons starting from next week.

Caden             : I hope that one day you’ll be a professional swimmer.

From the dialogue above, we know that Caden hopes that…

A. He will be a professional swimmer

B. Amara will be a great swimmer

C. You will be good at swimming

D. Amara can swim very well

8.Elle                  : I’ll be the only contestant from our school for the speech contest.     Stephan           : I wish you much success in it.

From the dialogue, we know that…

A. Stephan wishes Elle a good thing

B. Stephan hopes the best thing for himself

C. Elle is the winner of the speech contest

D. Elle and Stephan will join a speech contest

9.The following statements are the expressions of wish and hope, except

A. I wish to pass the test with a high score

B. I can be a much better story teller one day

C. I hope my parents are always proud of me

D. I hope to be able to attend the school event

10.Tiara  : What is the matter, Lara? You look       sad today?

      Lara   : My father is very ill and he has been   hospitalized since yesterday.

What is the most appropriate response for the man to say next?

A. I hope he will get better soon

B. I think you should take a rest

C. I am glad to hear that

D. I suggest your cheer up forever

Answer Key

1.C 6.A

2.C 7.B

3.D 8.A

4.B 9.B

5.B 10.A

Www.ef.co.id

Www.studybahasainggris.com

Ruang Guru

Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

Procedure text

Drug Label

Present Perfect Tense